Virtual Introductory Pigments & Paint Making Seminar with Sinopia Owner: Alex Warren on January 12th, 2022
Virtually join the owner of Sinopia, Alex Warren, for an in depth seminar covering pigments and binders. This seminar will give you an extensive overview of all pigment types, how to classify the pigments and how to select suitable pigments for different applications. The class will also cover all the binders for such media as oil paint, acrylic, watercolor, egg-tempera, casein/milk paint, etc. Not only will all the binders be explained and demonstrated, participants will learn how to select the optimum binder for different applications and you will be able to try all of binders yourself on a panel prepared with a traditional chalk ground.
The class size will be limited to 4 participants and will last from 1pm to 4pm PST
Additionally, this is not a class that will give you a hands on experience in creating one type of painting technique and you will not be sent home with a piece of work that looks like all of the other students' creations. Instead, you will be provided a class kit with different pigments and binders, which you can experience on your own gessoed panel! The only additional items you will need is an egg, a jar with water, paper towels, a hard non porous surface (even an old plate will be fine), and brushes.
Here is what you can expect to learn and experience during this class:
This is a class that will give you some important fundamental information about paints and material practices. We always like to say that: an artist who doesn't understand what is in their paint, is like a chef who can't chop an onion. We feel that using cooking analogies, makes the idea of pigments and binders a more organic experience, rather than sitting through a chemistry class. No boring lectures here!
Here is a breakdown of the class topics:
- Introduction to Pigments and an Overview of the Class. Answering general questions and allowing participants to have an input on the direction of the class.
- In depth discussion of all binders, such as oil, casein, acrylic, gum arabic (watercolor/gouache), egg tempera, etc. Students will experience first hand how the different binders affect pigments.
- Gaining a strong sense of how binders can be used in their most effective ways.
- An in-depth discussion of all types of pigments. I will take you through the dizzying array presented by the pigment world and help you find a way to classify pigments and create a system to effectively categorize all pigment types.
- Hands on painting with the paint that is being demonstrated. Late in the session we will experience one of the exotic pigments, such as lapis lazuli, genuine indigo, or azurite from the Sinopia Pigment selection.
- In-depth Q&A session to cover topics and issues that were not covered in the class.
Class Kits will be sent within two before the class. We have assigned a weight to the kit, so that when you sign up, you can get a real time shipping quote for the Class Kit during checkout.
Please Note: the class fee is a non-refundable one time charge. If the participant cannot attend the class that they signed up for, the class fee will be applied to a seminar on a future date.